[Seaside] question on database and scaling

Aaron Broad aaron.broad at gmail.com
Mon May 12 04:37:27 UTC 2008

I second that.. I think coming from java the persistence options other than
gemstone seem unprofessional and scary for using seaside commerciallly.  But
perhaps thats biased.  Maybe in smalltalk the idea of having a database as
reliable as say mysql being written and maintained by one person is
perfectly normal?  I've just discovered smalltalk/seaside.  Sadly it wasn't
sooner.  It seems really wonderful, and am hoping to create several great
web apps with it, but I too am worried about my data.  What are the best
data options?  What are the tradeoffs.  How reliable are they really in your
experience?

I'm convinced already that seaside is the easiest way to make web apps, but
am worried about data reliability.  I read somewhere dabble db uses an
inhouse written database?  Like that just sounds so 1970s to a java
programmer or even a ruby programmer i imagine.  I have trouble convincing
java programmers that db4o is useful, even though its backed by a large
organization and is open source and what not.  There is just this general
distrust for anything that doesn't in the end, end up in an SQL database
with a brand name.   I expect Gemstone to do brisk business on this
mindset.  But are there free($ and open source) options of comparable
quality, if not in speed, but in reliability?

Aaron