[Seaside] Possible to use gemstone/s for public internet app?

James Foster Smalltalk at JGFoster.net
Wed May 14 04:49:33 UTC 2008

On May 14, 2008, at 6:15 AM, itsme213 wrote:

> I've read a bit about how dabbleDb and others manage images to
> support large
> numbers of users who have independent sets of persisted objects. I
> understand (somewhat) that the free version of Gemstone is limited
> on total
> object count/size, and on usage with multiple CPUs.
>
> Is there any similar way to use Gemstone free edition for a large
> number of
> users (internet app) if those users' object sets are totally
> independent of
> each other? Using multiple servers? Does the free license allow such
> usage?
>
> Thanks - Sophie

Yes, you may run as many separate databases (we call them 'stones') as
you wish, provided that each use fits within the license restrictions.
If you really try to scale it you will probably need multiple hosts
(real or virtual) since the single-CPU limitation is applied using
processor affinity to CPU 0 (this means that multiple databases on the
same host would all use the same CPU). Otherwise, as long as your data
does not exceed 4 GB, you can likely do this sort of "horizontal"
scaling.

James Foster
GemStone Systems, Inc.