[Seaside] SEO and Seaside

Adrian Lienhard adi at netstyle.ch
Sun Oct 5 16:05:13 UTC 2008

On Oct 5, 2008, at 17:33 , Stefan Schmiedl wrote:

> On Sun, 5 Oct 2008 10:22:18 -0500
> "David Pennell" <pennell.david at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Excellent - I wonder why I keep seeing comments that insist that
>> you need
>> friendly URLs for SEO and bookmarking.
>
> Maybe because
> a) not all search engines allow parameters on indexed pages
> b) a) was true when the commenters learned their ways around SEO

Unfortunately, its not that simple... Its not because parameters are
not supported, but because search engines have troubles to deal with
them. If you use parameters the search engine cannot uniquely identify
a page because URLs to the same page are always different (even inside
the same session links to the same page always have a different URL
because of the callback keys). If you look at http://www.google.ch/search?q=useful+site%3Aseaside.st
  you see that the Trivia page occurs twice, even though Google is
hiding similar pages (if you make it show all results you get a lot
more duplicate entries).

This is problematic, not only because search results show up multiple
times, but also because
- having multiple URLs can dilute link popularity [1]
- Google may penalize the ranking of sites with duplicate content [2]

If you cannot get rid of the parameters I think that what Lukas
suggested earlier in the thread makes sense (that is, provide a
sitemap and use webmaster tools to hide parameters).

Cheers,
Adrian

[1] http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2007/09/google-duplicate-content-caused-by-url.html
[2] http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=66359