[Seaside] Re: Authentication task and https

Julian Fitzell jfitzell at gmail.com
Thu Oct 23 16:13:35 UTC 2008

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 4:50 PM, Bill Schwab <BSchwab at anest.ufl.edu> wrote:
> Julian,
>
> What scares me is that it does make some sense :)  Not that I really
> understand it, but from "the" book (too lazy to look up the title), some
> of it sounds familiar.  It sure makes more sense than the proxy/location
> directives that mention only the one protocol and yet somehow seem to
> rewrite the URLs.

:)

> I will be happy to help sort it out.  The first thing that comes to mind
> is that despite many different sources stating how easy it is to proxy
> Seaside with Apache, it is in fact not all that easy.  Given the nature
> of Apache, I doubt it can ever be made trivial, but we should be able to
> make it less daunting.  I have the beginnings of something that can
> sniff around for Seaside apps and propose parts of configuration files.
> I have avoided rewrites on advice from Pinesoft, but we could "easily"
> support either approach.

Agreed. We need to make that better. Partly, the UI needs to make more
sense and partly it needs some documentation. I really isn't that hard
if you understand the pieces involved but we're doing a very poor job
of getting people to that pre-requisite currently and it all ends up
being a bit opaque. Improving the user experience in areas such as
these is a goal of mine for the later alpha or beta releases of 2.9
and I've also been assigned the task of writing some architectural
documentation following the cleanups we've done (which includes
touching some of this baseUrl stuff) so I'll try to make sure it
addresses this to some degree.

Julian