[Seaside] Re: HTTPS & Seaside?

Miguel Enrique Cobá Martínez miguel.coba at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 17:16:09 UTC 2009

Göran Krampe wrote:
> Hi!
>
> John Chludzinski wrote:
>> I'm a bit of a newbie to this and have been using Comanche
>> (KomHttpServer).
>>  I've assumed this was the canonical choice.  Saw some references to
>> using
>> Apache as a "frontend" to Comanche.  Not sure how that might be done
>> but it
>> make sense that the web server, not the web-app framework (Seaside),
>> provides support for HTTPS.  ---John
>
> Yes, a typical setup is to use a "regular" web server as a so called
> "reverse proxy" in front of KomHttpServer. It should be trivially
> google-able. You can also get load balancing using HAProxy or other
> solutions, should also be easy to find via Google, I know that Ramon has
> written about it at onsmalltalk.com.
>
> There is also another option if you feel adventurous, although in a
> state of "alpha" and that is to use Blackfoot:
>
> http://map.squeak.org/packagebyname/blackfoot
>
> ...my SimpleCGI implementation. I have only tested it so far with
> Cherokee (awfully fast new webserver with a nice admin UI) and Nginx
> (another very nice fast webserver, BUT the SCGI support in Nginx needs
> my patches and they have not been applied by the author in his Mercurial
> repo yet). Apache and Lighttpd should probably work too, not yet tested.

Blackfoot it is a very light and concise implemetation of scgi. Because
of this it is very fast. I have test it with Seaside and lighttpd and
worked pretty well. Very good job, Göran.

I tested my app with varios setups:

- direct Comanche serving
- lighttpd with proxy (proxy to Comanche in port 8080)
- lighttpd with FastCGI (from squeaksource)
- lighttpd with SCGI (Blackfoot)

With Blackfoot I didn't notice any problem with my app.

This is a previous version I get from my subversion repo, and maybe
don't work exactly as I have modified since those days:

$HTTP["host"] == "example.com" {
   server.document-root = "/srv/www/example.com/"

   # We'll use the resources directory to host static files: images,
styles, etc

   # Anything else is forward to Seaside with a proxy
   $HTTP["url"] !~ "/resources/" {
     proxy.balance = "hash"
     proxy.server = (
       "" => (
         ( "host" => "127.0.0.1", "port" => 8080)
       )
     )
   }

   # Or we can use SCGI
   #   check-local: disable searching the requested file in the document
root
   #                 and forward the request to the SCGI hosts
   #$HTTP["url"] !~ "/resources/" {
     #scgi.server = (
       #"" => (
         #( "host" => "127.0.0.1", "port" => 4000, "check-local" =>
"disable")
       #)
     #)
   #}

   # Or we can use FastCGI
   #   check-local: disable searching the requested file in the document
root
   #                 and forward the request to the SCGI hosts
   #$HTTP["url"] !~ "/resources/" {
     #fastcgi.server = (
       #"" => (
         #( "host" => "127.0.0.1", "port" => 9000, "check-local" =>
"disable")
       #)
     #)
   #}