[Seaside] Running a VW image on a Slicehost server

Alan Knight knight at acm.org
Sat Jul 11 18:00:06 UTC 2009

At 11:55 AM 7/11/2009, C. David Shaffer wrote:
>Maarten MOSTERT wrote:
>>Hi,
>>
>>I am trying to run a stripped and headless VW-seaside image on a Slicehost.com  Ubuntu 9.04 server.
>>
>>This image runs fine on a local Ubuntu 9.04 but on the Slicehost server it continues to give the  "No such file or directory" message on starting it up.
>>
>>The situation is the same If I try to deploy on Fedora 10.
>>
>>Is there anay explanation for this ? missing libraries or something.
>>
>>Best regards,
>>
>>@+Maarten,
>As suggested, this is probably a 32-bit versus 64-bit problem.  You can use the (alpha?) 64-bit image included with VW7.6 (look in the "preview" directory).  I have a student hosting a VW app on slicehost and I know he struggled with this a bit.  I think in the end he deployed his application as parcels from his development image (on a 32 bit machine), and loads the parcels into the 64bit image through the -pcl command line option at server startup.  He hasn't had any problems as far as I know.
>
>David

If he hasn't had problems, he's lucky :-)   We've done quite a lot of work on the 64-bit support in 7.7. If he's going to use it, I'd suggest using the 7.7 versions from vw-dev, or just sticking with the 32-bit. For whatever reason, Ubuntu 32-bit doesn't install the required 32-bit libraries by default and you have to add them. The incantation to do so was posted in one of the mailing lists. I can dig it up if no one more Unix-knowledgeable knows it offhand.

--
Alan Knight [|], Engineering Manager, Cincom Smalltalk
knight at acm.org
aknight at cincom.com
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk