[Seaside] Using SQlite3 and Seaside

Mariano Martinez Peck marianopeck at gmail.com
Sun May 10 00:42:04 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 8:29 PM, Chun, Sungjin <chunsj at embian.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> On May 10, 2009, at 4:12 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck wrote:
>

> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Chun, Sungjin <chunsj at embian.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> For me or my application, this applies too. Which means that my
>> application is portable
>> through Linux, Mac and Windows and also the application package is
>> "portable/mobile" - can be
>> copied to flash or usb stick so that it can run anywhere :-)
>>

> Ok, now I wonder (yes, sorry for the offtopic) is this a solution due tue
> the ugly morphic? I mean, suppose I want to do ann "nice" desktop
> application with Squeak, is the best approach to do a seaside app for one
> only user using a browser and localhost ???
>

> Yes, another reason is that squeak does not provide international or
> unified input method
> for Korean, Japanese or Other languages.

Did you try Pharo? They have done a lot of work with encoding and UTF-8. You
could at least give it a try.

>> I choose this approach though my application is a web application for
>> single user. If you're
>> interested my application is at http://code.google.com/p/nxt-web/
>>
>> If OpenDBX is easily portable on all three major platforms, I also am
>> interested in porting from
>> current FFI base SQLite3 binding to OpenDBX.
>>

> Please, define portable. OpenDBX should compile with Sqlite in Linux, Mac
> and Windows. I did it in Linux VERY easy, someone do it in Mac and other in
> Windows. I can test to do it also in Windows. Sorry I don't have a Mac to
> test it there.
> No matter how easy OpenDBX compilation with Sqlite is in all platforms, the
> thing is that if you want to use SqueakDBX you need OpenDBX compiled and you
> also need the backend client library installed. In this case, for example,
> you need to have the Sqlite client libraries (in windows, a DLL).
>
> So, if you want to have a simple zip or a directory in a pendrive, I don't
> know I this should work. I know there is a way FFI looks for the dlls in a
> specific place (you can tell it which places). So perhaps you can do that
> and put there the OpenDBX and the sqlite dlls. But, it was never tested
> before.
>
> My question is, how have you being doing till now? Is there a driver for
> Sqlite that works in all OS for Squeak? Do you use another persistence
> strategy right now?
>

> SQLite3, at least, has binary (which means already compiled) release for
> all my major platforms;
> windows, linux, mac os x. And squeak does support FFI on these platforms I
> can use it without
> problems.

Ok. This is true. Sqlite have binaries for those OS. It is also true that
Squeak support FFI in those platforms. But.....who invokes the C functions
of the Sqlite driver? You do it manually ? Are you using a Squeak driver ?
This is what I don't understand. How are now talking to Sqlite in those OS

> OpenDBX case, yes, I know it could be easily built on POSIX or UNIX like
> environments, my problem
> is Windows case, I cannot find yet binary release(dll?) for OpenDBX.

Yes. Actually they are. They have not been done by us but by someone else.
They are here: http://reauktion.de/flugphase/en/2009/03/19/

> SqueakDBX uses FFI(right?), so
> it might not be a big problem.

No, It wouldn't be a big problem. Norbert (openDBX author) also made it
work. I asked him the tips to do it and also the dll. I will let you know
the responses if you are interested in.

Cheers,

Mariano