[Seaside] iSea Problems (Seaside-App for iPhone)

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 11:12:29 UTC 2009

> Any body developing iPhone web-apps with seaside?

Yes, I did implement some applications.  iSea never worked for me
though. Cool for a demo and a quick prototype, but too limiting and
slow for a real application.

I wrote some complex application using jQuery for Seaside, see the
screenshot on slide 69 in this presentation
The problem is that the latency of the network is generally too high
to get a snappy application, even when it was used on a WiFi network
that was directly connected to the server.

In the end I learned Objective-C, CocoaTouch and bought an Apple
developer license. Manual garbage collection is painful, but the
result is perfect.

Running Pharo locally on the iPhone would probably solve the network
latency issue. I haven't tried that yet though.