[Seaside] watir-like web testing in squeak

David Mitchell david.mitchell at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 15:27:06 UTC 2009

Nothing as complete as Watir. You could just use Watir to test your seaside
app.

For simple get/post action in Smalltalk, you could pull Scamper (a Squeak
browser) and script it. It is fairly easy to understand/port. Bijan Parsia's
networking chapter in the squeak blue book has a nice intro.

See the parsia_2.pdf at:
http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks/CollectiveNBlueBook/

I ported it once to VA Smalltalk in the late 90s for some internal website
testing. Unfortunately, no support CSS/Javascript, etc. and you would want
those for something modern.

If you really wanted Watir in Smalltalk, you could do a port. This would be
a bunch of work, but since it is Ruby, the concepts should be similar. For
the browser binding, you'll need something like OSProcess.