[Seaside] Scriptaculous and jQuery driving me mad

Lukas Renggli renggli at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 11:01:09 UTC 2010

> 1) Is there an easy way to convert a Scriptaculous lightbox into a jQuery
> one?
> My lightbox calls look as follows:
>
> self lightbox: myComponent.
>
> But of course this re-renders the whole page...

That's by design, it builds on the normal #call: mechanism.

To get an AJAX lightbox (without the blocking semantics of #call:)
have a look at the jQuery JQDialogFunctionalTest.

> 2) Is there some kind of incompatibility between Scriptaculous and jQuery in
> Seaside? Because when I started using jQuery, all Scriptaculous calls
> stopped working in my app.

See the documentation in JQuery class>>functionName and read
<http://docs.jquery.com/Using_jQuery_with_Other_Libraries>.

> 3) I find the way Scriptaculous works much more natural and Seaside-like,
> whereas in jQuery I constantly feel like still coding a web application
> instead of the usual Seaside sensation of not knowing whether you're writing
> a web or desktop app. Is that what it should be like or it's just me doing
> things wrong?

Scriptaculous and jQuery are the same, they wrap a Javascript library
and make it accessible from Smalltalk. Neither of the two adds or
removes anything, it is a pure Smalltalk wrapper around Javascript
code. In both cases it is beneficial to read and understand the
documentation of the respective Javascript libraries.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch