[Seaside] Why - XHTML perfectly good names are now given en Seaside new names

Robert Sirois watchlala at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 17 19:56:16 UTC 2011

Which is why Pharo is so great :)

RS

From: sebastian at flowingconcept.com
Subject: Re: [Seaside] Why - XHTML perfectly good names are now given en Seaside new names
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 10:33:35 -0200
To: seaside at lists.squeakfoundation.org

Yes... is not seaside names really.

If you watch for the <p> documentation the first thing you see is that it is an html representation of a paragraph. Well to represent a paragraph in seaside we used the smalltalk culture that is to just say the name of the thing (I mean literally).

Smalltalk has this culture of enhancing readability paying some price in "writeabilty" but is nothing any decent autocompleter won't help you with.

I think the trade of is clever because, used properly, makes easier to have a nice flow of newbies who can feel it intuitive.

It makes easier for you to pretend that the virtual object is a real object.

besides that's why looking smalltalk code resulting from that is beautiful when compared with resulting html code (which hurts in your eye and brain)

The same probably apply to an abstraction to other stuff like javascript, squeak's own VM's C or whatever stuff you wrap with it

sebastian

o/