[Seaside] Re: Seaside application deployment/migration/update

Diogenes Moreira diogenes.moreira at gmail.com
Wed May 4 06:28:33 UTC 2011

My answer in line,
Best
D.

http://<yoururl>:<yourport>/tools/versionuploader,

> Is there any command line tool to do that ?

depends on your environment, where are seaside running?  pharo,
squeak, Gemstone, VW, dolphin..?

>> Whe you talk about change, how long are that changes. ? Is The new model
>> incompatibe with the older.?
>> Remember when you change the class structure, the compiler make the
>> changes for all instances.
>
> But what happens to your existing data ? I know that I should store data in
> a separate database but for the sake of simplicity I prefer to keep my
> objects in the image while there are not too many data (the application I
> have in mind is pretty simple concerning storage).

good, when you apply the changes on the image, you changes are
applying in all instance of your objects..if that modifications has
incompatible changes, (I can guess, change a simple instance by a
collection, or some thing like that), may be you needed do a script,
to make a intermediate state. and run that script by seaside object
inspector, by example.

>> But that not enogh. You can persist the data in a chunck and recover late.
>
> So basically I could just serialize my data, throw the image and reload the
> data in a new fresh image ?

Yeap, if you changes are, very large

> What do people generally do ?

In my case, when I work with pharo (in most cases), I use the
monticello's way. I don't have so much experince in gemstone, but
genstome has a object version's system and you need change the
instances structure explicitly