[Seaside] ESUG SummerTalk - Fuel, binary object serializer

Martin Dias tinchodias at gmail.com
Tue May 24 20:39:32 UTC 2011

Hi folks. I am really happy to announce that ESUG is sponsoring me for Fuel
development through the ESUG SummerTalk. I am Martin Dias, a student at
Buenos Aires, Argentina. The idea behind this SummerTalk is to implement
Fuel, a binary, fast and general-purpose object graph serializer in
It is based on VisualWorks' Parcels ideas.

Actually, the project has already started since several months. Tristan
Bourgois and I started with the project while doing an internship with RMoD,
INRIA <http://rmod.lille.inria.fr/web/pier>. Since a couple of months, Mariano
Martinez Peck <http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/> joined the team, and now
he is the official mentor in the SummerTalk.

ESUG website for SummertTalk:

The website with all the necessary information is here:
It even includes slides explaining the algorithm. In addition, a paper is in

For the moment, Fuel already provides the following features:

- Fast pickle format. It is much faster to materialize than to serialize.
- Correctly support class reshape (when the class of serialized objects has
- Serialize ANY kind of object. For the moment there is no object to our
knowledge that we cannot serialize and materialize.
- Be able to completely serialize classes and traits (not just a global
- Support cycles and avoid duplicates in the graph.
- Integration to Moose <http://www.moosetechnology.org/> with an extension
to export and import their models.
- Detection of globals: for example if you serialize Transcript, it is not
duplicated and instead managed as a global reference.
- Solve common problems like Set rehash.
- Buffered writing: we use a buffered write stream for the serialization
part (thanks Sven!).
- No need of special support from the VM.
- Try to have a good object oriented design.
- Well tested (about 120 tests, for the moment).
- Large set of benchmarks (even benchmarks for Moose extension).

And of course, there are a lot features for the future. You can see some of
them in the website and some in the issue tracker:

We really appreciate all kind of feedback and comments. If you want to try
it, check in the website how to do it. It is extremely easy.

Once again, I want to thank a lot to ESUG for sponsoring the project. I plan
to create a "news" section in the website with some RSS. I will keep you

Best regards,