[Seaside] How to convert a 1.4 Pharo Seaside image so that it will work with seasidehosting.st

Torsten Bergmann astares at gmx.de
Wed Aug 1 06:35:53 UTC 2012

Mark Andrew wrote:
>[snip a lot of things he tried to build an image for Seasidehosting]

The reason is simple:
 - Seasidehosting has a custom made VM that only allows you
   to play in a sandbox
   Looks like it is too hard for the seasidehosting crew to
   run it on a new one/or customize a more recent VM

 - Pharo image is now much newer and saved by CogVM - so it can
   not be used and one has to look for Squeak

 - meanhwile Seaside switched to Zinc (since Pharo did it)
   and nobody really cares on "Seaside for Squeak"
   that makes it hard to run a recent Seaside on Squeak
   (Zinc loading problems ...)

Maybe the community:
 - is able to provide an Squeak-Seaside image that is able to
   run on seasidehosting and that could be made available there

 - the VM maintainers are able to help to customize a more
   recent one to support the sandbox model of seasidehosting so
   one can use a Pharo-Seaside image and follow recent developments

Stef wrote:
>pay attention seaside hosting is old and I think that it will be >discontinued.

Sad - it is/was a nice way to showcase seaside stuff
to other people.

http://jquerymobile.seasidehosting.st/
http://twitterbootstrap.seasidehosting.st/

>you could run the equivalent of seaside hosting but on your machine

The problem: not everybody has an own machine. How can we expect
people to use Smalltalk/Seaside if there is no possibility to
start with small budget and grow afterwards.

There are many other technologies out there that offer free hosting
(in the "cloud"). It makes it even harder to choose something exotic
like Seaside.

Thanks
Torsten