[Seaside] Maintaining a deployed image

Pierce Ng pierce at samadhiweb.com
Mon Feb 11 12:03:53 UTC 2019

On Sat, Feb 09, 2019 at 08:12:29PM -0800, sergio ruiz wrote:
> - How do I go about keeping the deployed image up to date. I have used
> iceberg for this project, and am wondering if I might have to switch to
> monticello to do this easily. what I would like to do is use TelePharo to
> remote into my running image and update to the latest code version. It
> looks like there is a problem with TelePharo right now.

Previously, I prepare a image with new code, then upload the image and
restart the application. The image ran RFB server so I could connect for
troubleshooting if necessary.

Nowadays, I use Docker: Prepare a Pharo image, then build a Docker image
from the Pharo VM, Pharo image and any other necessary artefacts.

Basic idea is to treat all deployed images as disposable. When releasing
new code or fixes, create and deploy a new image, discarding the old
image. With good version control, you can always recreate a Pharo image
of any version of your code.

> - How feasible is it to keep one image up and running on my production
> platform. It kind of looks like I might have to maintain a production image
> on my local machine and sync it to the production server.

I run Pharo -vm-display-null -vm-sound-null but it is not really
headless because I want the option of deploying an image with RFBServer.
It consumes ~4% CPU. I believe true headless mode will use less CPU at
rest.

With Docker, the production image is first tested locally then
deployed to production.

> http://www.bagelconcertfinder.com

Cool! I recognize Bootstrap. :-)

Pierce