[Setools] Gjallar let's go

goran at krampe.se goran at krampe.se
Mon Aug 7 17:49:31 UTC 2006

Hi Florent!

"trolat.florent" <trolat.florent at laposte.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > Hi folks!
> >
> > I can gladly announce that we today decided the license for the Gjallar=
>
> > code/project:
> >
> > "new" BSD
>
> Good news....

Yup!

> "Gjallar Original Requirement and Design" is actually a great tool to und=
> erstand Gjallar... but some points (ok 95%... ;-) ) are still wooly for m=
> e....

Just ask. I am fully aware that some parts are less well explained -
they are more like notes from my brain. :)

> Can I ask you about  functionalitys of your UI on seaside?

Definitely.

> 1/ I supposed your Ui allows a Gjallar admin to create process ( p 6 Requ=
> irements).

That is the idea - but currently there is no implementation of that UI.

> This functionality is reachable by 'Global admin' =3D> 'processes'?

Yes, but it is not there yet.

> When I try to acces this item : nothing
> Something is not implemented or my configuration is wrong? :-(

Not implemented. :) BUT... you can do all these things using "doits" in
the "Admin console".
That is how we have avoided spending time on UIs for things that are
typically done very seldomly.

Trying to spend our time (=money) on the UIs that are really important
for every day users.

> 2/With a Gjallar user you can manage processes by 'process admin' I suppo=
> se, but in my browser 'user' 'category' and 'forms' seems to do nothing..=
> .
>
> (Something is not implemented or my configuration is wrong?)

Again entries not implemented. In fact - the only implementation of the
admin functions are the two consoles - and they are essentially the same
- fancy way of doing do-its on the server packaged as a Q2Txn (and thus
a Magma txn, and replayable etc).

THe only difference currently is that the Process admin console executes
with that Process as "self" and the Admin console executes with the
whole model as "self".

Which of course means that a Process admin *today* can do anything, just
like the global admin. I suspect that we will phase out the Process
console but keep the admin console. And implement UIs for the things
that the Process admin should be able to do.

> About Design
>
> 3/"Case linking" :  This mechanism is a manual decision (like moving a ca=
> se in a new stage)  or we can define some rules ?

Typically manual. At least today. One could imagine "auto linking" for
example based on keyword analysis like "this might be a similar case"
etc. I have seen at least one system with that functionality on the
market, can't recall which one it was right now.

If you have ideas about rules - feel free to suggest. One thing we want
to add is of course to make it much easier to create "sub cases" - when
you are viewing an existing case it would be nice with a simple way of
creating a new case linked to the one you are viewing etc.

> In your document you write "a case can !!!normally!!! not move between pr=
> ocesses"
> Why "normally" ;-)?

Because different Processes will have different Forms and different
workflows and validation etc. So if Process A has a Form X, which has
been added to case 12 - then if you move that case to Process B which
does not have that Form - then... well. :)

One thing we should allow though is moving cases that:
1. Are sitting in the start stage (has not moved yet)
2. Have no additional forms added.

BUT... the createForm of Process A could still have extra Fields that do
not exist in Process B - but then we could warn the user and say that
information will be lost.

This would still be very useful since cases easily could get created in
the wrong Process.

> 4/ Where (class...) can I find informations about the Meta Level?

I presume you mean my "Mewa rewrite". That would be classes Q2Form,
Q2Field, Q2FormComponent, Q2FieldComponent and
Q2FormEditor/Q2FormViewer. And subclasses of these. :) I don't have a
writeup about it yet but could try to write one tonight.

> Thanks :-) ,

No problem! Thank you for your interest and patience. :)

regards, Göran

PS. Turn off HTML in your emails. :)

PPS. I will also try to move some info about how the admin console can
be used to create Processes etc.