[Setools] Gjallar: extracting features

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Fri Feb 9 03:20:41 UTC 2007

Hi Thierry, indeed, the breadth and depth of all the Squeak projects
and code out there is truly massive and intimidating.

One thing that has helped me grok others code and my own is having
improved the productivity of the tools for code exploration.  The
Hierachy Browser and Tracing Messages Browser have served me well for
years for this.  You can load Tracing Messages Browser from
SqueakSource for 3.9 or SqueakMap for 3.8 or earlier.  There are
certainly other tools too, but the point is I've noticed how many new
(and some veteran!) Squeakers have developed a habit of using only
Package Browsers and then scrolling and clicking around in those to
browse and edit code.

And, sadly, this obsession with Package Browsers has gotten worse in
3.9 because you can't even make Hierarchy Browser the default anymore!
Its really boggling at how difficult it is to simply focus on the
*class-model* instead of always just the package-organization..  So I
usually find 3.8 better for groking code (at least until I get time to
fix up 3.9)..

There is one other small enhancement that has, in my dev image, paid
good dividends.  "Code Editor Enhancements" on SqueakMap allow me to
browse *from* anywhere I might be, *to* anywhere I could logically want
to go from that place.  Like, if I'm viewing a method, update:
aCustomer, I can double-click the text, "aCustomer", press a hot key,
and the Customer hierarchy opens up..

The idea is by being able to navigate quickly without having to hunt,
scroll, click, click, scroll, and click, my train of thought is not
disrupted and I digest code much more quickly.

I think your idea about a skeleton application with base "user/role"
functionality is a good one; seems like most applications have that
doesn't it?

Cheers,
  Chris