[SoC] SOC: New IDEs

Andrew P. Black black at cs.pdx.edu
Sat Mar 17 15:02:43 UTC 2007

Dear Juraj,

Yes, the ideas on the wiki are just "starter" ideas.  Students can
refine and enhance them, and submit their own proposals.
Then, we evaluate the proposals.

So, you could start by writing in more detail about the new ideas
that you would like to see.  You should also write something about
your background, so that we can assess whether you can actualy _do_
what you are proposing!

For my part, I'm happy to help you refine your ideas.  For example, I
really like the jnternal structure of OmniBrowser, but not the GUI.
WHisker has a much more useful GUI, in my view.   And I havn't used
Smalltalk/X for long enough that I don't remember what it does
differently.

	Andrew

On 16 Mar 2007, at 7:42, Juraj Kubelka wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm a PhD student at Czech Technical University in Prague. I would
> like to apply for job in Google Summer of Code. The interesting
> ideas for me are "New IDEs" and "Reimplement IDE Tools in s
> Structured Way".
>
> I have an idea how IDEs should look like and what should offer to
> programmers (combination of Smalltalk/X IDEs and VisualWorks and
> something more). As I have found this project I think it is good
> change to do it in cooperation with mentors (and earn something).
>
> So is it possible to think about me?
> I can write my ideas about better IDE (especially System Browser
> and Inspector).
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Best regards,
> Juraj Kubelka