[SoC] SOC: New IDEs

stephane ducasse stephane.ducasse at free.fr
Sun Mar 18 07:28:47 UTC 2007

On 17 mars 07, at 16:02, Andrew P. Black wrote:

> Dear Juraj,
>
> Yes, the ideas on the wiki are just "starter" ideas.  Students can
> refine and enhance them, and submit their own proposals.
> Then, we evaluate the proposals.
>
> So, you could start by writing in more detail about the new ideas
> that you would like to see.  You should also write something about
> your background, so that we can assess whether you can actualy _do_
> what you are proposing!
>
> For my part, I'm happy to help you refine your ideas.  For example,
> I really like the jnternal structure of OmniBrowser, but not the
> GUI. WHisker has a much more useful GUI, in my view.   And I havn't
> used Smalltalk/X for long enough that I don't remember what it does
> differently.

Yes! I would love to have a better browser:
	- check also the dualBrowser made by roel (which offers VW like
package/inheritance)
	- check also the package Booster (which offer test running....)
	- It would be good to have traits support as well

So we should be able to plug element in this browser and indeed the
flow of display of OB is too static.

By the way andrew this would be good to sync our two projects. We can
do it when you will be visiting us (damien will still be there). May
be I could move my proposal more into package support integration
(refactoring for packages)
Damien (the guy doing the squeak-dev distribution) will apply (he is
travelling right now). So we could make clear the
difference.

Stef