[SoC] Squeak SoC: TratisOmniBrowser features in the plain OmniBrowser

Juraj Kubelka kubelkj at fel.cvut.cz
Sun Mar 25 19:16:47 UTC 2007

Hi,

I have a proposal for student application.  Every suggestion is welcome.

Thank you in advance.
Juraj

===============================
+ Title/Summary: TratisOmniBrowser features in the plain OmniBrowser

****** Project Introduction

    Traits is new technique how to reuse code and comes without
disadvantages of multiple inheritance or Mixins.  For full adoption
by developers it is necessary to offer management tools.
TraitsOmniBrowser is the tool, but it does not offer other useful
features.

    Currently, Squeak has thousands of System Browsers.
TraitsOmniBrowser is another one which does not have the refactoring
for example.  The refactoring Browser is great but outdated and it is
not possible to enhance it because it is not based on solid
framework.  The other browsers come with usually one great feature
but it is not possible to use all of the features in one System
Browser.

    Since OmniBrowser framework there are significant efforts to port
all great features to one browser by plugin system.  The intention of
this project is to follow the way and transform TraitsOmniBrowser
features into OmniBrowser plugin.

****** Benefits to the community

    Squeak is a very good environment for developers, but there is a
lack of solid development tool.  OmniBrowser is new framework for
Squeak that could get off this situation.  It is recommended for
creating tools in Squeak, but it is new and it has not been fully
adopted yet.

    This project will transform TraitsOmniBrowser features into
OmniBrowser plugin, an extension of plain OmniBrowser.  It helps to
adopt Traits by developers together with using other useful features
like refactoring or code completion.

****** Schedule
1. Learn period
     + Investigate TraitsOmniBrowser features and make list of features
       I will transform during the middle period and what during the
       last period.
     + Learn OmniBrowser framework, Traits implementation and
       OmniBrowser plugin system.
1. Middle period
     + Work on transformation of decided features.
2. Last period
     + Work on transformation of decided features.
     + Two weeks for testing, debugging, and release.

****** About me

    My name is Juraj Kubelka. I am a PhD student at Czech Technical
University in Prague, Czech Republic.  I am interested in object
oriented development and object oriented methodologies.  Although I
have little experience in Squeak, I am very interested in it.  There
is a lot of really good frameworks already implemented.  This project
is good challenge for me to improve my abilities in Squeak and
especially participate in such great community.  I would like to also
adopt Squeak in our schools.  I hope there will be also big Squeak
community sometime in the Czech Republic.