[SoC] freeCAD port to Croquet

Matthew Fulmer tapplek at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 01:09:18 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 03:11:12PM -0700, Aik-Siong Koh wrote:
> At Matthew Fulmer's request, I am making my email to him below public.
> Aik-Siong Koh

I suppose that's a cue to make my reply public as well

> Matthew:
>
> Thank you for supporting Phua for this project. He is indeed excellent.
>
> I would like you to reconsider Chai whom I judge is very good. A score of
> -1 does not reflect his worth. Phua and Chai worked very well together on
> their final year project. Since you know Phua, can you contact Phua
> directly and get a real picture of Chai.
>
> Chai already has a job offer that is 30% above average for his class. But
> he will be doing Perl. I am hoping GSoc will give both Phua and Chai the
> visibility that companies like Qwaq will support them to do Smalltalk.

No doubt, but we can't fund both to work on the same project as
part of gsoc. We won't have that many slots. If you would prefer
Chai to be in GSoC over Phua, I will support that and change my
vote. But we can't have both. You should drop one of them from
the 'I am willing to mentor' list.

If Chai is a newer student than Phua, it may make more sense to
push him for GSoC over phua, as Phua has already invested a lot
into this project.

The votes reflect whether we want to see this project as part of
GSoC, not on the student's worth. Chai is great, but if phua
needs the spot more, we can't have chai in.

I voted under the assumption that Phua deserves the GSoC funding
over chai. If you would rather it be the other way, I will
reverse my votes. But you should not push both. We don't have
enough slots to spend 2 of them on one project.