Squeak file locations under Linux/Debian

Ian Bicking bickiia at earlham.edu
Wed Apr 22 06:28:35 UTC 1998

I'm trying to set up a Debian/Linux package for Squeak, and I'm not
sure how to deal with the files.

What I'd *like* to do, is have it set up so that Squeak1.31.image,
Squeak1.31.changes, and SqueakV1.sources are all in /usr/lib/squeak,
and when you type "squeak" without any arguments, you run this image.
Then, to get your own personal copy of the image, you do "save as...".
The original images are kept safe in their read-only form, and you can
launch squeak without knowing anything about it -- you can learn about
Squeak completely from within Squeak.  Plus it doesn't seem cool if a
package leaves you with more installation to do (i.e., copying
personal copies of the .image file) -- we have packages to avoid that.

Unfortunately, I don't know how to get this to work.  It's easy enough
to make Squeak look in /usr/lib/squeak, but Squeak does not like to be
start up on a read-only changes file.  Even when it isn't read-only,
the "save as..." doesn't seem to work right -- it doesn't copy the
..changes file like it should.  Also, the system should only have one
copy of the SqueakV1.sources, but I'm not how to do that.  It seems
acceptable to have (more or less) hard-coded file locations, because
as a binary package it is only supposed to work as a whole (file
locations and all).

I'd like this to make it easy for someone unfamiliar with Squeak or
Smalltalk (and thus still unexcited about it) to start this up and get
to the interesting part quickly, with zero time investment -- in other
words, "squeak" without any arguments should work.  I'd also like to
get it to fit nicely into the Unix file conventions.

So... does anyone have any ideas how this should work?

(oh, and as a side-note... where are the sources for Jitter?  I could
only find normal VM sources)

|| Ian Bicking                 |  bickiia at earlham.edu ||
|| drawer #419 Earlham College |  (765) 973-2537      ||
|| Richmond, IN 47374          |                      ||