Pass thru proxy server

Jim Benson jb at speed.net
Mon Aug 10 06:02:21 UTC 1998

Hi,

I am trying to build a "pass through" web proxy server using the
pluggable web server in Squeak. I want to :

        Browser --> Squeak Server --> Network connection

where the Squeak Server is invisible both to the browser and to the
network connection other than the address redirection.

>From the browser, I just add a HTTP Server Action that passes the
request on to the real network. The reason that I want Squeak in the
middle is to collect html /text pages as they pass through. I then add
these pages to a database that I can query. This is useful for doing web
based research, where you typically gather info and articles rather
haphazardly. With Squeaks help, you would be able to browse as you
normally would, Squeak gathers everything you surf, and later you can do
some text /information mining using a more sophisticated interface.

So it sounds pretty simple, my HTTP Server Action is dispatched on a
scheme type of 'http'.  HTTP Server Action does a GET using a MIME of
'application/octet', and in general, pretty much everything gets
through. EXCEPT --  when the network connection wants something in
return. Cookies are a good example of this, as are Authentication
scripts. So my question is --  How do I make PWS transparent
bidirectionally? In other words, how do I make the Squeak Server
invisible to both the browser and the network other than the address
relocation?

Again humbled by seemingly simple things,

jim