Problems building the Mac VM

Jim Benson jb at speed.net
Tue Aug 11 07:57:29 UTC 1998

Maloney wrote:

> The image STP is trying to open may be too large for the default
> memory partition of the VM. Try using the "get info" command of the
> finder to increase the memory allocation of the newly built VM.

John,

    In this case, I believe that Squeak screams:

        Insufficient memory for this image

in the stdout window, and things quickly come to a grinding halt. Saying
that,  I have encountered borderline sized images that load but do not
remain happy for very long.

Now, you mention using a modified image to test your VM. This can lead
to many hours of debugging fun!!!  I have spent many hours entertaining
myself in the C debugger trying to figure why my newly spawned VMs do
not work properly. Invariably, I generate a VM from an image, and
unknowingly try to run another image on it that has special primitives
or API calls within (images with different primitive numberings are
especially fun). Oh how I love seeing the MacsBug monitor smiling at me.
When things go south, rule number one is to test the distributed
standard image with the newly generated VM.

Learned the hard, expensive way,

jb