Hypertext, Documentation, and Swiki

Ted K. tedk at wdi.disney.com
Mon Feb 16 06:19:55 UTC 1998

Daniel,

	Yes, I am a great fan of the Wiki.  In any Wiki server running on Squeak 1.31, you can ask for http://myMachine:80/myswiki.smtlk.Rectangle|extent;    This sends back any method or comment from the server's smalltalk.  (Note | separating class and method and use of ; semicolon for : colon.)  No ability to store a modified method to the server, but maybe we should put that in for comments.

>I've tried and tried to see the contents of a link in Squeak, and it's not easy.

	In the links within Text, do you want to see what the link does without clicking on it?  Just select the link (start outside the link), and type Cmd-6.  At the bottom of the menu is "copy hidden info".  Choose this and paste somewhere.  It shows you what is there.  To create a link, put any of these in your method.
	Point x
	<Point x>
	Click Here<Point x>
	<Point x>Click Here
Select that, Cmd-6, and choose Link to Method.  Link to Comment, Link to Hierarchy, Link to Definition are also available when the thing in <> is a class name.

--Ted.

P.S.  In the screen Menu, choose Help, then choose Command-key Help.  This window has all the command key combos in it.  Note that these have changed in 1.30:

Command
-	underlined (toggles it)
=	struck out (toggles it)

Cmd-shift
_ (aka shift -)	negative kern (letters 1 pixel closer)
+		positive kern (letters 1 pixel larger spread)

This was done to make Kern +1 and -1 both be done with the shirt key down.  You can leave your hand on Command-shift and just type on + and _ to adjust the text.

Ted Kaehler,   Walt Disney Imagineering, R&D
(home) 3415 Cork Oak Way, Palo Alto, CA  94303.  voice (650) 424-1070
http://www.webPage.com/~kaehler2/
*** All cities in area code 415 south of San Francisco are now in 650.  415 no longer works for them. ***