VM building question

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Tue Feb 10 23:08:29 UTC 1998

On Tue, 10 Feb 1998, Serg Koren wrote:

| I use CW for both Mac and Win (I did an update to Squeak to compile
| properly under CW Pro 2: http://www.VisualNewt.com/Mac/Squeak124.html)
|
| And I use CW on Mac, Win95/NT.  Definitely a nice product since you can
| move the project files (and source files) across platforms and just
| retarget...you don't need to have separate project files. Just put it on a floppy and
| move it to the other machine.

Interesting.  I tried the demo version of CW for Win32 last September
and was surprised by the problems I encountered.  In porting one quite
small program I found several bugs.  I didn't even find any way to
report them (since I wasn't a paying customer).

I was porting from UNIX and had done some preliminary work with Visual
C.  Perhaps when porting from the MacOS world, CW behaves better.
Perhaps I had bad luck.

The resulting program was significantly faster when compiled with
Visual C or GCC than when compiled with CW.

Hugh Redelmeier
hugh at mimosa.com  voice: +1 416 482-8253