Workspaces wasting memory

Andreas Raab raab at isgnw.cs.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Sat May 23 17:31:45 UTC 1998

> Hi.
>
> I think I have the workspace memory wasting problem again (my image file
> grew a couple of megabytes for no reason). What can I do to check? I tried self
> inspect over a workspace (from the menu), this led me to a stringHolder,
> which has a model which is a workspace. But inspecting a workspace leads to a
> huge byteArray... where are the local names in a workspace?

The Workspace includes a dictionary with the bindings. All your undeclared
stuff can be found there. Try adding

Workspace>>releaseBindings
  bindings _ nil

and then:

Workspace allInstancesDo:[:workSpace| workSpace releaseBindings].
Smalltalk garbageCollect.

This should give you most of the space back (given that it's really the
workspace bindings ;-)

  Andreas
--
Linear algebra is your friend - Trigonometry is your enemy.
+===== Andreas Raab ============= (raab at isg.cs.uni-magdeburg.de) =====+