VM size reduction experiment

ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp ohshima at is.titech.ac.jp
Mon Apr 12 23:57:25 UTC 1999

  Hi,

> I removed all the serial, sound, codec, midi joystick and form printing prims,
> replacing the methods with calls to use the named prim instead of the number.
> If you generate interp.c without any of the plugins for the Balloon stuff and
> no minus the code for all those removed prims, the .c file is now about 600k
> instead of >1mb.

  From my experience with the 2.3 VM, I think the size will
be decreased to nearly 300k when the inlining is turned off,

	       *             *             *

  BTW, I think that the Zaurus OS is "weird" enough to
mention here.  Zaurus PDA have DRAM + flash memory
combination and the Zaurus OS does the paging only for the
(read-only) text segment but not for the data.  The OS
allocates memory up to 128k for text area and does paging if
the binary is bigger than that, while the data is allocated
into the remaining DRAM area.  Because of this distinction,
decreasing the binary size doesn't affect the size of
available data size.  I can understand Dan's conservative
attitude for the image size because there may be many
strange machines in the world!

                                             OHSHIMA Yoshiki
                Dept. of Mathematical and Computing Sciences
                               Tokyo Institute of Technology