corrupted changes file indices?

Dan Ingalls Dan.Ingalls at disney.com
Thu Apr 22 20:37:04 UTC 1999

>Considering the size of the changes file and the sheer number of new things
>that have been introduced since SqueakV2.sources was generated May 23, 1998
>-- and the fact you'll probably put out a version 2.4b anyway -- would it be
>a good time to create a new .sources file? I realize you like to do this
>with major version releases, but if you plan to let 2.4 stand for a while it
>might be nice to have a matching .source file to distribute with it. In
>fact, having the .sources file track the minor version releases (like
>SqueakV2.4x.sources, SqueakV2.5x.sources, ...) might be less confusing for
>many, and reduce the overall total footprint of a Squeak system in the
>process.

No, I'm not going to do this.  I feel that our next major release WILL likely be an incompatible move, so we would be writing vers 3 then anyway.  I realize the footprint is a bit bigger with a large changes file, but it is a compensating convenience being able to share the V2 sources among lots of old v2.x images as well as 2.4.

As you know, anyone can do this on their own if they have a strong desire for small changes files (like many student copies) by running condenseSources.

	- Dan