[ENH] PackageBrowser for 2.6

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Thu Dec 2 21:28:34 UTC 1999

At 12:42 -0800 12/2/99, Stephen Travis Pope wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've made a stand-alone (i,.e., one that doesn't require the STP12
>goodies) file-in for the PackageBrowser (AKA six-paned browser).
>It's attached. Bug reports are solicited...

Looks nice! A few comments (from running it on 2.7):

(1) When there are no dashed items the default is for the second pane
to be blank. It took me a moment to discover that I had to unselect
my selection in the first pane to cause the same list to appear in
pane two and then I had to find my item again.

Would it be reasonable and possible to have the third pane show the
classes in this case?

It's interesting to note that if a package name has the form
'MyName-' then a dash appears in the second pane and it can be
selected to see the classes. Maybe something like a 'default'
trailing dash can be used when there is no dash?

(2) The three buttons (Instance/?/Class) seem to be positioned partly
behind the lower pane. (Try to move the upper boundary and see what
outline gets selected.

I suspect this browser will have the effect of encouraging people to
break large additions into smaller parts since it doesn't make the
category list grow with each part.

Thanks,

Dave
David N. Smith