Source/version/goodie/bug manager (large project) [Re: Working Together....]

R. A. Harmon harmonra at webname.com
Thu Jul 15 16:06:42 UTC 1999

At 07:31 PM 7/14/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I seem to be seeing more and more need for a Squeak-native
>source/version/goodie/library/bug manager -- perhaps something along the
>lines of the Smalltalk-80 Version Manager described in the Green Book.
[snip]
>My ideas on this are not even lightly warmed, never mind half baked, but
>I _would_ like to see a show of hands of anyone working on something
>like this and what your thoughts and plans are.

Hand raised--waving wildly.

[snip]
>IMHO, I think it should be almost as transparent as the .changes file
>and change sorters to a single user (if desired) while giving control
>over image rollback and "version" checkpointing and re-creation
>(answering at least some of the desires for improved image modularity
>and management). Something simple and easy to use that doesn't get in
>the way or impose a particular way of working.

Yes.  Well put.  I think it would also help if source code was a first class
object rather than handled by various manipulations of String spread across
lots of classes.

> The various types of
>individual items could all be handled through minor extensions of the
>fileout format.
[snip]

I'm currently working on a SIF reader/writer for Squeak which I think might
help.

Excellent ideas.  I'll help in any way I can.

--
Richard A. Harmon          "The only good zombie is a dead zombie"
harmonra at webname.com           E. G. McCarthy