Protypes and Self and Squeak (was RE: Browsers)

Stefan Matthias Aust sma at mail.netsurf.de
Wed Mar 17 23:00:31 UTC 1999

Hans-Martin's proto object extension is really cool.  The last two hours, I
tried to improve the inspector but I got really mad about the problem that
you couldn't add/edit methods in Morphic.  I think, I finally found the
problem and I've attached a simple solution.

The problem actually is that the inspector uses text objects instead of
string objects.  Nothing against that, but now for some reasons the step
method of Inspector, will notice any change to a method as an external
change and immediately overwrites the now version with the stored old
version. But why?

Well, I think, it's because a PluggableTextMorph _shares_ the text object
(its model) as contents instead of keeping a copy.  Therefore, changing the
text in the TextMorphForView will also effect the contents which is again
checked by the step method.  As the object, when handed over to the
TextMorphForView-thing, is sent asText, a string gets copied but a Text _not_!

As it's now too late to continue, I'll finish my changes to the inspector
tomorrow and post the changes later on.  BTW, there's a small problem
fieldListMenu:.  The carrige return behind "update" has to be removed.

bye

Attachment converted: Anon:PluggableTextMorphFix.17Mar1150
(????/----) (00007961)

--
Stefan Matthias Aust  //  ...and now something completely different