Platform independent abstractions on platform specific models

Carl Gundel morphic at hotmail.com
Thu May 20 15:36:50 UTC 1999

>Well, I certainly wouldn't call it a toy...but, you have a point.  If you
>want it to be a great environment, that's one thing...if you want it to be
>widely accessible, that's an entirely different thing.  :)
>
>As for your company, if Squeak had good database and Windows integration
>(native widget support, callbacks, etc), would they be tempted to switch?

Add to that list:

- better performance
- exception handling
- full block closures
- ENVY or something like it

It also would not hurt Squeak if some second organization would pop up to
add value (like Red Hat does for Linux).  For example:

- do real QA
- provide documentation
- provide visibility
- collect and distribute a library of goodies & addons

I've also got my eyes on Disney Imagineering to see what real system they
realize in Squeak.

Go Squeak!  ;-)

-Carl