Some questions about Squeak

Stephane Ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Nov 27 10:32:08 UTC 1999

Hi Andreas

You skip the most interesting of my questions:
>For example: it could be really good to have an automatic
>initialization protocol like in Clos, to avoid to have to define
>everywhere this boring
>	new
>		^ super new initialize
>
>in CLOS the make-instance method is calling the initialize-instance
>for ALL the objects in the system. In Smalltalk, we would just have
>to redefine Behavior>>new to call Object>>initialize.
>We could let basicNew for emergency purpose.

Is there any plans in that direction.

** a stupid question
How can I know the color of the background in a morphic world.
I'm building a stupid logo turtle (like Pen)
and I need to display the turtle and erase it.

> > **The mailing list is quite buzy. Is there no plans to have a newgroup?
> > I know that some of you think that Squeak is not ready for the mainstream
> > people but this would help people that are interested to communicate more
> > easily.
>
> I don't see a difference between having a mailing list and a newsgroup
> *except* that having a mailing list avoids a lot of spam (both, to the
> newsgroup and to the people posting on it) and that it is a somewhat larger
> download. Since I don't mind downloading a bit more stuff and I really hate
> spam my personal preference is clearly that of having a mailing list.

This is your view for me  a newgroup is less linear and I would not be
a lot of newgroups if they would be mailing-lists. I prefer mailing for
low traffic groups.

If you can tell me how I can connect to the European Server
I would be REALLY happy.

Stef