Towards an ST-72 example

Marcel Weiher marcel at metaobject.com
Tue Nov 23 13:39:31 UTC 1999

> From: Alan Kay <Alan.Kay at disney.com>

> Rosetta Smalltalk came up with a different way to do a cleaner
class interface.
[and earlier]
> This was an excellent "redesign" and implementation of
Smalltalk-72. I.e.
> instead of being slavish to what we had done at PARC and making a
literal
> copy, they came up with a very interesting set of improvements to
ST-72,
> most of which really helped the end user. The Exidy (Z80) wasn't
up to the
> bitmap graphics that the Alto could do, but nonetheless, this
system was
> fun to contemplate ... There were several papers written by these
folks ...

I've tried tracking down the references, but it seems to be
difficult in this part of the woods.  Could you explain just a little
what those interesting improvements to ST-72 were (presumably to do
with the cleaner class interface)?

Thanks,

Marcel