Menus and Balloon Help

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Tue Nov 2 18:21:00 UTC 1999

I'm finally actually programming in Morphic instead of just wishing I
had the time, and will be probably asking lots of stupid questions
for a while.

I've built menus with balloon help but the balloons only appear when
the menu is traversed with no key down. That is, when an Option-Click
(on the Mac) pops up the menu and one keeps holding the button down
to select there is no balloon help.

If the menu is Option-Clicked and forced to stay up then one can get
balloon help by moving the pointer over the menu.

I've found a way to do selection with Option-Click-Drag, or keep the
menu up with Option-Click and see the help, but it requires another
menu item to dismiss the menu if no other selection is made.
(Further, the little menus can easily get 'lost' behind windows so I
have had to keep track of each menu so that they can be closed later
if the user doesn't do it.)

All of this works, but seems a lot more effort that I had hoped. Is
there any way to get balloon help to appear during an
Option-Click-Drag operation?

Thanks!

Dave
David N. Smith