Squeak on the Sharp iCruise

Bruce ONeel beoneel at mindspring.com
Mon Nov 22 16:04:34 UTC 1999

Hi,
   As a USer who lives overseas...

US Customs Law lets you take as much money as you want out of the
country, but, if you want to carry more than $10,000 in cash or cash equiv then you need to fill out  a form.  Your local Customs official will have
a copy.  Note that this says nothing about whether or not your destination
country will allow you to bring the cash in.  I have never had this
particular problem :-(  This only applies to cash and cash equivs.  If
you ask for a wire transfer or do things via a credit card the proper
reporting will be taken care of for you.

In most cases check cards are just like credit cards and are easily usable
overseas.  Note that on returning to the US you will get the oportunity
to declare the amount of goods purchased overseas.  Each citizen/perm res
gets $400 free.  There is some charge for going over this.  The advantages
of three kids is that I have never exceeded my allowance.

Note, of course, that this is only my experience.  A phone call to
your local customs office might not be a bad idea.  Also, 10 of an item
might be viewed differently than one of an item.  Things frequently
change for the more complex when it starts looking like you are a
business rather than just importing for yourself.  It always has been
my impression that spending more time with the nice customs folks was
to be avoided.

Also, of course, I am neither a lawyer or a customs officer, nor do I
play either on the net :-)

cheers

bruce