[UNIX] [BUGS] [FIX] headless vm, small fixes

Henrik Gedenryd Henrik.Gedenryd at lucs.lu.se
Wed Aug 30 17:27:46 UTC 2000

> Arranging for the generated files to take note of a -DPLUGIN symbol to
> compile themselves in "external plugin mode", for example, would be
> perfect.  I could trivially rebuild the sqNamedPrims.h file in the
> process, to reflect which plugins were "externalised".

It isn't clear to me whether you'all in this thread have noted that the
Slang translator generates different C code for modules (and the VM hooks
I'd suppose) depending on whether they are to be compiled with the VM or as
separate plugin files. In other words, plugins generated for inclusion with
the vm should not be compiled as standalone, and vice versa. Check out the
changes inthe InterpreterPlugin class>>translation category (doh!
obviously). 'locally' there means 'baked into the vm'. There are also way
simple hooks for eg. leaving FFI out of the vm.

Someone made this remark before (Tim I think it was) and just ignore me if
you already know this. However, it seems that this might be the solution to
your problems.

As for the inconsistent naming, these are probably remains from plugins
older than the new pluginize paradigm. I think anyone should feel free to
fix the naming.

> Try this (replace 'System' with any plugin that you know exists and can be
found
> by the VM):
>
> 'From Squeak2.8 of 13 June 2000 [latest update: #2359] on 30 August 2000 at
5:44
> :26 pm'!
>
> !SystemDictionary methodsFor: 'miscellaneous' stamp: 'ikp 8/30/2000 17:44'!
> byeBye
>         "Smalltalk byeBye"
>
>         <primitive: 'exit' module: 'System'>
>         self error: 'this should never be reached'! !

Ouch, this looks like a bug to me, but my Unix eyesight isn't 20/20. Tried
it--does not work on the Mac. What about Win?

<Bert just removed all of Squeak from his hard drive :-) >

Henrik