The Puzzle Page

Bob Arning arning at charm.net
Sat Dec 16 21:58:42 UTC 2000

Hi Kar,

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 22:42:18 +0100 Karl Ramberg <karl.ramberg at chello.se> wrote:
>If I have a viewer on the world the little world flap blinks every second.

That's more or less to be expected. The flap is trying to shot an up-to-date picture of what the viewee looks like. Since it can't  do that in a more general way, it just updates periodically.

>When I open a viewer flap, sometimes 2/3 of the screen flashes, instead
>of just the flap part.

Is there anything else in the flashing area? One thing the DamageRecorder does is to merge intersecting rectangles and sometimes, when there are too many, it even merges non-intersecting ones to keep the number down. Knowing what else is in that area may point us to ways to cut down the flashing.

>When I pull a script off to edit it, the whole flap area flashes
>when I move the script around.

While you are moving the script? Or when you drop the script on the world? I see the latter, but not the former. The latter is a reasonable need on the part of the flap to make sure its contents are drawn correctly since dropping phrases and scripts in the world can cause changes in the flap.

Cheers,
Bob