Syntax & Sematics [was: Re: [Enough already] Re: Proposal3:

Mats Nygren nygren at sics.se
Mon Jun 5 21:32:55 UTC 2000

Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> In message <393B0FB2.E21BE874 at evolgo.de> you wrote:
>
> > If the second expression should be a Smalltalk example, it could be more
> > difficult for e.g. C programmers:
> Since C makes it difficult for C programmers, why should we go to any
> effort to make it just as difficult? Smalltalk is Smalltalk. If you want
> C++/java/snobol/Trac(c)/ObjectiveFortran++ then use it.

Tim,

I want Squeak because its the best.

And I want it to have "pluggable" syntax. Besides, the example I used
had different precedences between * and +. That is not exclusivly C,
almost all mathematicians in several hundred years have used it.
Almost all programming languages are using it. Nobody is trying
to make you use it. I am however trying to get the idea accepted
that this is something each can decide for themselves, similar to
which colors and typefaces to use when browsing code.

the following for instance is not in my taste:

average: other
   ^ self + other / 2

If you like it, thats ok with me, all I want from you is
that you accept that some space is left so one could look at it
like this for instance (a Smalltalk with precedenses):

average: other
   ^ (self + other) / 2

This can be done with a goodie on the side, in my private image,
and we wouldnt have to argue, but in the long run that will be boring,
much more interesting if it gets accepted as a good organization and become
a part of normal Squeak.

Furthermore, Squeak is at present dependent on C-syntax, as you well
know. Nothing is gained by looking down on it. It works, and there are
good compilers for it.

FYI, I have written enough C-code to know well what is not good with it,
I think C++ is a mistake, Java is a horror, the other tree above I dont know,
if you hate them I guess I would to. Except Fortran, I used it to write my
first larger program, and I would enjoy viewing the Squeak code in Fortran
syntax, once in a while.

Of course I will end this argument after a while if it really isn't the will of the
Squeakers.

With respect,

/Mats Nygren