[FIX][ENH] SortedCollection robustness & speedup

Georg Gollmann georg.gollmann at tuwien.ac.at
Mon May 8 08:12:00 UTC 2000

At 22:19 Uhr +0200 04.05.2000, Stefan Matthias Aust wrote:
>At 09:47 02.05.00 +0200, Georg Gollmann wrote:
>>
>>1) Your changeset unblocks addLast: for SortedCollection which
>>opens the door for sort order corruption. Avoiding that was the
>>main point of my changes.
>
>Yes, I know. Unfortunately, my change sorter and stuff broke, so I
>undid your change instead of trying to hunt down all broken things.
>We should retarget that change for 2.9a as 2.8 is near and it might
>risk stability.

To avoid this brittleness we could

a) implement addLast: in SortedCollection as ^self add: newObject

b) swap the implementations of add: and addLast: in OrderedCollection

I prefer b) since I suspect that addLast: is often used just for
performance reasons. This overspecifies the intent.

Of course this "do what I mean" approach  is not for the purists.

The current version of my manglings is at:
http://macos.tuwien.ac.at/Squeak/SortedCollFix.st

Georg
--
----
Dipl.Ing. Georg Gollmann                TU-Wien, Zentraler Informatikdienst
mail:gollmann at zid.tuwien.ac.at
http://macos.tuwien.ac.at/Gollmann.html