INVALID INVALID INVALID Re: Fwd: Virus Warning!

David N. Smith (IBM) dnsmith at watson.ibm.com
Thu Nov 9 23:32:46 UTC 2000

All:

As is probably obvious, I work for IBM. I was going to contact Joyce Bober via email to validate this virus warning, BUT...

There is no Joyce Bober working for IBM in the USA. (There are three males named Bober, two in NY state and one a contractor at an unknown (to me) location.

The phone number is not listed in the employee directory.

So, I called the phone number and it is valid, and is for someone who answers "Mailing Systems". I asked for Joyce and got handed off to a nice guy who was fielding all the calls about the virus. They know no Joyce Bober, and nothing about the virus. Their phone is ringing off the hook.

I don't know if the virus exists or not, but the listed source surely does not. Does an absence of a Joyce mean an absence of a virus?

I can find no virus alert released by IBM with regard to this 'warning'. I've searched all the usual places. Normally something dangerous like this will come with lots of noise and lights, and maybe even a temporary disconnection from the Internet. Nothing...

I think this is another fraud.

Dave

David N. Smith
IBM T J Watson Research Center