WinCE frustrations (was: Squeak on an iPAQ)

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Sep 21 16:53:27 UTC 2000

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM wrote:

> All that should be necessary is to take Andreas's sources and recompile them for
> an ARM target.  The sources are at:

You might have problems with this. One problem is that the HPC 2.11 libs now
have
definitions for (some of) the stdio/stdlib routines, and this might conflict
with the Squeak VM definitions of the same things. So some editing might be
necessary.

AFAIK, no one has tried to compile the 2.7 VM with the newest Microsoft tools.

I've been waiting for Andreas or someone to issue an updated set of WinCE
sources.
But I haven't seen anything yet. If I knew what Disney's plans were with respect
to WinCE, I could plan either to wait or to do something myself.

There are some differences between Win32 and WinCE that may make a difference:

* file names are all in Unicode
* there is no "current directory"
* there is no async Winsock socket support
* there is no async file support
* serial support is somewhat limited

Also, the existing WinCE code assumes that WinCE devices don't have real mice
(though some do, like the IBM z50). And the window/pane resizing code in Squeak
doesn't work right with pens (which don't emit mouse move events while the pen
is up).

Beyond this, some real effort has to go into battery/CPU management for Squeak.
Perhaps the recent event stuff will help.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com