Mac 2.8 Browser plugin - Help!

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Sep 1 08:09:44 UTC 2000

on 9/1/00 8:35 AM, russell.allen at firebirdmedia.com at

> My currrent guess is that it had something to do with the memory being
> fragmented - but since at all times the "largest available block" was
> reported by the OS as being larger then 20M that seems unlikely.

Well memory might be free but the system heap might be unable to expand by
the 20M that is required to satisfy the Squeak memory allocation, due to
some application heap preventing the system heap from expanding. So you die
even if the Browser has lots of memory, or if the finder reports a large
free blocks.

PS When you terminate the Squeak plugin at some point the System gives the
memory back.

Happily this issue all disappears with OS-X

Custom Macintosh programming & various Smalltalk dialects
PGP Key: DSS/Diff/46FC3BE6
Fingerprint=B22F 7D67 92B7 5D52 72D7  E94A EE69 2D21 46FC 3BE6