QuickTime for Sqeak -- MS Windows and RealEstateAgent problem

Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com Torsten.Bergmann at phaidros.com
Mon Sep 18 12:09:22 UTC 2000

>I need to sacrifice a virgin here, so if someone who is interested with a
>Windows machine would be so kind as to follow the directions on the page
for
>installation and test this to see if it works, I would appreciate it. I do
>not know if the DLL requires a full installation of QuickTime, so I would
be
>interested in this information also. Please send any comments on how to
>improve my installation directions directly to me.

Cool - worked for me on Win2k with a preinstalled Quicktime. I tried to play
an AVI. Some update problems when the player is dragged around or if you
select single
frames, also when the player is overlapped by other windows.
But it basically works.

After filing in the code in a 2.9 alpha image and evaluating:
"QuickTimeMoviePlayer getAndOpen"
I had a problem in QuickTimeMoviePlayer>>openOnFileNamed:, see the
attachement
for a fix.

You call (RealEstateAgent initialFrameFor: window) in this method but this
method
doesnt seem to exist anymore in 2.9alpha. You have to use
#initialFrameFor:world: instead:

 window
	bounds: (RealEstateAgent initialFrameFor: window world: World).

I think this problem appeared several times on the mailing list. Maybe we
should implement
RealEstateAgent>>initialFrameFor: in the release like the following to
provide a workaround
for other projects and keep Squeak compatible:

 RealEstateAgent>>initialFrameFor: aWindow
		"this is not tested !!!"
		^self initialFrameFor: aWindow world: World)

BTW: I created a small avi with the free bmp2avi tool from Paul Roberts
(bmp2avi at cherryjam.prestel.co.uk ). Its a license free command line tool
transforming several
bitmap files into a single AVI file. Maybe we should ask for the source code
to build animations from
within squeak (hopefully in a portable way).
See http://www.homeusers.prestel.co.uk/cherryjam/utilities.html for bmp2avi.

Keep up the good work
Torsten