Further update to Rolodex tutorial

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Wed Apr 25 14:49:02 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 25 April 2001 06:53, John Hinsley wrote:

> Wow! That *is* perfect. Amazing peice of coding, Ned. Nice peice of
> working out, Karl!

It wasn't much coding...

> I'll go away and document this, take a peek at Andrew's write up for
> OOPSLA
>

> http://www.cse.ogi.edu/~black/ecoop2001/Squeak%20Worksheet%201B.html

What were the GIF's made with? They have strange dithering...

A hint: add to your personal world menu the following:

aMenu add: 'capture image' target: Utilities action: #grabScreenAndSaveOnDisk

and you'll have a handy capture-rectangle-from-screen-and-save-to-disk option
at all times.

> and should have it up by the weekend as the final version for comments.
> The only "big" thing that needs to be done is implement some kind of
> auto-dialer, but the thought occured that this would probably operate at
> a very low level and is probably OS specific. Come to think of it, I
> can't remember ever having seen an auto-dialer for a *nix, and I've seen
> no code for one on any system.
>
> Any ideas?

Yes, the DTMF (as opposed to MF[1]) tones are:

         1209 1336 1477 1633

        697   1    2    3    A

        770   4    5    6    B

        852   7    8    9    C

        941   *    0    #    D

You can make these directly in Squeak.

SoundPlayer stopReverb.
AbstractSound dial: '867-5309'.

[1] The tone sets that you may find on the net that use 700, 900, 1100, 1300,
1500, 1700 (and 2600) Hz frequencies are no longer useful.

--
Ned Konz
currently: Stanwood, WA
email:     ned at bike-nomad.com