Stability of Squeak

Andrew C. Greenberg werdna at mucow.com
Tue Aug 14 12:30:07 UTC 2001

On Monday, August 13, 2001, at 11:21 PM, Edmund Ronald wrote:

> 3.0 Image, 3.0Alpha8MT is probably the VM ? on Mac TiBook, MacOSX 1.0.4.
> the OS was probably at 1.0.1 when the freezes occured.

Interesting.  Has anyone else experienced problems on a TiBook?

My primary MacOSX configuration is on a Pisomo, but my VM is
3.0Alpha18MT.

The early Carbon VM's (designated as Alphas, by the way) were fairly
problematic at first (as was much early MacOS X software).  You might
update to determine whether or not you have -- or you might try running
a development VM on MacOS 9.

I am now using MacOSX fairly exclusively, and haven't had any problems
with the latest and greatest VMs

> And, thank you for making my point nicely: It works for YOU. It works
> for
> anyone who has got into using it. This is what I mean when I say (see
> my post) "extremely stable in an established use pattern".

OK  You might opt to run non-alpha versions of the software if you are
so concerned about stability of the system.

> However, it will crash on newbies.

Not my experience either.  My wife teaches a class using Squeak.  My
colleagues at work use Squeak (and hell, they're lawyers).  [They are
running 3.0VMs on MacOS 9.0, however]

These posts have spent a great deal of real estate generally asserting
instability and commenting on the sadness of instability, perhaps
defensively responding to my general averments of a fairly stable system.

It is far less helpful to simply insist that "it will crash on
newbies."  It would be substantially more helpful to describe the
circumstances of that crash.

> One of the first things I did when I
> joined this list was enquire how to make the tutorial code work on the
> then current release. The incompatibilities in posted tutorials will
> also
> only be spotted by newbies. So, please get my point: Until Squeak is
> rich
> enough to afford a quality assurance team, newbies are your best
> testers !
> Use them !

Great.  Please describe in as much detail as you can, the symptoms and
circumstances of the crash.