ChangeSet reclamation [was Re: [updates] 88 (count 'em)...]

Dan Ingalls Dan at SqueakLand.org
Mon Aug 20 15:14:43 UTC 2001

Hannes Hirzel <hirzel at spw.unizh.ch> wrote...

>P.S. An interesting expression is
>ChangeSorter deleteChangeSetsNumberedLowerThan: 4261.
>
>It frees up several megabytes in your images. But for inspecting
>what has happened in the update stream it is convenient to keep
>the changesets for some time.

You might want to try

	ChangeSet allInstancesDo: [:cs | cs zapHistory].

I think you'll find that this reclaims almost as much space, while leaving the changeSets in place.

The real penalty we pay right now is that we save old copies of methods (and all the literals they point to) for the ability of (isolated) changeSets to be reverted.  This will all get reexamined and improved, methinks, in the forthcoming work on modules.

Hope this helps.

	- Dan