A caution Re: Query: moving stuff between projects to hide from publication

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Sun Dec 30 21:13:06 UTC 2001

I just discovered that the semantics of moving things between projects by
dropping them in a project view appears to be a (deep) copy.  In contrast,
dropping them on flaps looks at first blush like a move.

I haven't fully traced through or cleaned up things, but I thought I'd warn
others who might be thinking of the same maneuver.

Visually, dropping something into a project creates a copy, since the
original remains in the current project.  So the hints are all there, but
in my case hope and expectation triumphed over what was in front of my
face.  So I had a bunch of windows up, each referring to the same
underlying data.  After I moved them, I had many copies of the underlying data.

Since this is a warning, not a warranty, I'll say that I'm not sure that
moving a bunch of morphs to the flap, and then into a different project,
will avoid this problem.