Broken Sound on Windows using 3.0gamma

Steve Gilbert steven.l.gilbert at lmco.com
Fri Feb 16 03:34:20 UTC 2001

Just in case some of you Windows users still can't get your sound to
work in 3.0gamma.  The fix is buried back on a note that Andreas Raab
posted on 2/4.

Once Squeak is started press the F2 button, this brings up a preferences
menu.  Near the top is an item Use DirectSound.  Click on this to
deselect it.  Now try the sound application again.  It worked for me :)

Andreas mentions in the note that users of NT4.0 prior to SP4 may not
have DirectSound available. I have NT4.0 SP5 and still have the problem
so there seems to be more to it than that.

Is this problem isolated to only NT4.0??  If not it might make sense to
set the default to have this turned off.

Anyone else had this problem and if so on what machines?

Steve Gilbert